Job Description: StoryTent Coordinator Intern
Reports to: CEO
Status: Part Time/Exempt
Compensation: $10/hour (20 hours/ week)
Start Date: July 13, 2017
End Date: September 2, 2017
About Traveling Stories:
Traveling Stories is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that specializes in helping kids fall in love with reading by the 4th grade. Founded in 2010, Traveling Stories has established a world library and StoryTent program model that is impacting over 6,000 kids a year worldwide.
The StoryTent Coordinator Intern is responsible for managing active StoryTent programs in San Diego including but not limited to: City Heights, El Cajon, Imperial Beach, Waypoint Public, and special events. Duration: 8 weeks (includes 2 weeks of training).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepping supplies for each program.
- Transporting supplies in the Traveling Stories van between our office in Mission Valley and each StoryTent location.
- Setting up StoryTent program and overseeing volunteers.
- Supporting StoryTent Captain if one exists.
- Managing permission slips, attendance sheets, and the administration of periodic surveys. Taking pictures and video and sharing on Traveling Stories social media.
- Assisting with monthly field trips.
- Emailing supervisor a brief update after each program and reporting any concerns.
- Emailing volunteer coordinator a list of volunteers who were at each program.
- Publishing 1 impact story on social media every Saturday.
- Reading with children.
- Inspiring a love for reading!
Thursdays, 2:30pm to 6:30pm
Fridays, 2:30pm to 6:30pm
Saturdays, 8am to 2pm
Tuesdays, 9am – 2pm
*Some special events, including but not limited to: 7/16/17 from 12-4pm, 8/2/17 from 4:30pm to 7:3pm
- Enthusiasm and patience
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with children
- Valid CA Driver License, clean DMV Report, and auto insurance.
- Able to pass criminal records check.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, communicate, and train others.
- Ability to life up to 50 lbs.
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Teamwork orientated
- Familiarity with Google Drive, email, DropBox, Microsoft office, and other basic technological tools
- Ability to read children’s books enthusiastically so as to engage reluctant readers
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of children, parents and volunteers
- Ability to effectively manage a variety of tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to work productively in a casual environment with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to conduct one’s self in a calm and professional
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written situations
To apply, email resume and cover letter to Julie@travelingstories.org
No benefits. Sick leave in compliance with CA law.