Looking for a job that combines your brilliant people skills and administrative talents with your enthusiasm for making a difference? Traveling Stories is a nonprofit organization like no other — uniquely focused on delivering amazing reading experiences to reluctant readers. And we’re looking for an incredible full time Office Manager to help us grow to the next level.
Traveling Stories is a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in San Diego that was founded in 2010. Our mission is to empower kids to outsmart poverty. How we do that is by teaching kids money management skills and helping them fall in love with reading by the 4th grade. Every week we impact hundreds of children through our StoryTent program model. We’re working hard to expand our weekly programs to 10 new locations by the time we turn 10 (in the year 2020).
As the Office Manager for Traveling Stories, you’re the glue that connects the organization’s many moving parts and the key to making sure our growth is systematically sustainable!
Keeping Traveling Stories’ day-to-day operations running smoothly requires a diverse set of leadership skills, and as the Office Manager you’re a master of them all. In the organization’s fast-paced, dynamic environment, you exhibit composure as you learn from each new challenge. You take pride in bringing people together and happily lead the way on difficult projects. You create order, embody the organization’s core values, and work to ensure that everyone’s work is completed to the highest standard. You help create and enforce efficient operational systems and procedures that allow Traveling Stories to grow to the next level. You’re enthusiastic about supporting your fellow team members and feel rewarded when you help them succeed.
This describes you so well it’s almost scary…
- You’re hyper focused on getting the details right — you don’t half-ass anything or let little things slip through the cracks
- You understand and pick up technology basics quickly
- You have experience with accounting, data and administrative management practices and procedures.
- You’re an effective communicator, especially in writing
- You strive to be the best at what you do
- You are comfortable with numbers and dealing with money and processing credit cards
- You consider yourself a problem solver who doesn’t get freaked out with things you don’t quite understand…instead you look at them as an opportunity to develop your skill-set even further
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced and high-intensity environment and you aren’t afraid to voice your opinion and collaborate with a team
- You are detail-oriented, love checklists (especially when you get to cross things off), and are organized
- Your friends and family use these words to describe you: honest to a fault, sweet, sincere, trustworthy, hard-working, compassionate, and 10,000% reliable
- You do whatever it takes. The phrase “That’s not my job” is not a part of your vocabulary. And you work ’til the job gets done
- You do great work autonomously AND as part of a highly collaborative team
- You’re a born GO GETTER — always looking for ways to add value, do better work, improve efficiencies, build others up and make the world a better place
- You’re practically always on time (or early) and strive to deliver ahead of deadlines
- You’re able to juggle multiple projects and communicate honestly about your timelines, challenges, and questions
- You care deeply about your work and the wellbeing of the company
If you can say “YES” to any of the items below…even better!
- You are a whiz at all things Google Drive
- You’ve updated or managed WordPress websites
- You’ve been to one of our StoryTent programs
This position is NOT for you if…
- You’re not organized
- You can’t handle regular and detailed feedback
- You have no sense of humor
- You’ve never heard of Traveling Stories
The Nitty Gritty:
- This is a fulltime position working out of our Mission Valley Office
- At least 2 years office management experience is required
- College Degree is preferred
- Pay is commensurate with experience
- Position comes with health benefits
Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in this position, we want to hear from you! But instead of sending us a resume, we want to see how you would respond to two sample emails. To apply for this position, email your responses to the following prompt to email@example.com
Reply to BOTH of these emails as though you already have the job, but here’s the catch… the entire Traveling Stories team is stuck on an island with no internet service for the next 3 days so YOU have to hold down the fort. Give it your best shot!
Dear Traveling Stories,
I saw Emily speak at my Rotaract Club last week and fell in love with the mission of Traveling Stories. I want to volunteer at the StoryTent programs!! How do I get started? What do I need to do?
Thank you for submitting your grant application on behalf of Traveling Stories. I’m excited to share that your organization is a finalist for $10,000. We’ve narrowed it down to two organizations and we’re asking each one to give one last defense. To help us make our decision, can you tell me why you believe we should pick Traveling Stories?
I apologize for rushing you, but our team must decide in two days, so your prompt response is greatly appreciated.
Beverly Smith, PhD