Looking for a job that combines your love for working with children with your enthusiasm for making a difference? Traveling Stories is a nonprofit organization like no other — uniquely focused on delivering amazing reading experiences to reluctant readers. And we’re looking for an incredible part-time StoryTent Coordinator to help us grow to the next level.
Traveling Stories is a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in San Diego that was founded in 2010. Our mission is to empower kids to outsmart poverty. How we do that is by teaching kids money management skills and helping them fall in love with reading by the 4th grade. Every week we impact hundreds of children through our StoryTent program model.
As the StoryTent coordinator for Traveling Stories, you’re a leader and mentor to kids, their parents and teams of volunteers. From setting up the tent and managing volunteers, to welcoming new readers and collecting program data, you help curate a StoryTent experience that transforms reluctant readers into confident ones. Through weekly reports you provide valuable input and feedback that influences the growth of not only the program, but also the organization.
To get a better feel for what a StoryTent is, check out this short video.
This describes you so well it’s almost scary…
- You love working with kids and believe that every child has the potential to succeed
- Reading has made a difference in your life or the lives of people close to you
- You love interacting with people from other cultures and appreciate the ways you can learn from people who are different from you
- When you care passionately about something you can’t help but talk about it and want to get everyone you know involved
- You’re outgoing and love talking to people
- You’re an effective communicator, whether it be on the phone, in writing, or in person
- You strive to be the best at what you do
- You’re a positive person
- You consider yourself a problem solver who doesn’t get freaked out with things you don’t quite understand…instead you look at them as an opportunity to develop your skill-set even further
- You like challenges and finding solutions when others have given up
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced and high-intensity environment and you aren’t afraid to voice your opinion and collaborate with a team
- Your friends and family use these words to describe you: creative, sincere, trustworthy, hard-working, compassionate, and 10,000% reliable
- You’re a born GO GETTER — always looking for ways to add value, do better work, improve efficiencies, build others up and make the world a better place
- You’re practically always on time (or early) and strive to deliver ahead of deadlines
- You’re able to juggle multiple projects and communicate honestly about your timelines, challenges, and questions
- You care deeply about your work and the wellbeing of the company
This position is NOT for you if…
- You don’t like kids
- You have no sense of humor
- You can’t handle regular and detailed feedback
- You’ve never heard of Traveling Stories
Schedule and Locations
- Saturdays & Sundays (6-8 hours each day)
- Friday evenings
- First Tuesday evening of every month
- Special Events
- Enthusiasm and patience
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with children
- Valid CA Driver License, clean DMV Report, and auto insurance
- Can drive a multi-passenger van
- Able to pass criminal records check
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, communicate, and train others
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Available Weekends and occasional Tuesday afternoons and early evenings.
- $12 per hour
- No benefits
- Sick leave in compliance with CA law
- Type: part-time with fluctuating hours (10-15 hours per week)
- Prepping supplies for each program
- Transporting supplies in the Traveling Stories van between our office in Mission Valley and each StoryTent location
- Setting up StoryTent program and managing volunteers
- Managing program attendance
- On-site community outreach
- Administration of periodic surveys
- Sharing the StoryTent on Traveling Stories’ social media platforms
- For when there are field trips: assist the delivery and manage the permission slips
- Emailing supervisor updates after each program and reporting any concerns weekly
- Reading with children
- Inspiring a love for reading!
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter and write “StoryTent Coordinator” in the subject line.